Friday, March 18, 2016

Undergraduate Student Experience at 5th Annual Lead Education Day


Displaying IMG_4483.JPG"This year I joined the Michigan Alliance for Lead Safe Home’s annual Lead Education Day. This was an amazing opportunity to advocate for the families impacted by lead poisoning and civically engage on an important issue. This was my first time speaking to legislators and I must say that this was an experience to remember. A few weeks prior to the event volunteers participated in an online webinar to prepare them for the big day at the capitol so they felt comfortable speaking to policy makers. I built my knowledge on lead poisoning and policy information as well as learning about the influence that certain legislators have based on what committee they are apart of. People came from diverse fields and geographical regions to volunteer at  this event and as a result I was also able to network with other professionals who are passionate about this public health issue.When Lead Education Day arrived we broke into small groups and met with 4-5 legislators and informed them on what important steps they could take to help the families impacted by lead poisoning. Being an undergraduate student, this is an opportunity that I am very fortunate to have. This was an invaluable experience and I look forward to continuing my work with MIALSH!"